hrf

Sunday, December 2, 2007

Sour Diesel

I took a field trip to Newburgh, NY on Friday to see my dad's dentist friend and get my toof fixed. Its about 60 miles north of Manhattan on the Metro-North. The train ride was great, we followed the Hudson upstate towards Poughkeepsie. And I've always loved trains anyway since I was a little Hasi anyway. Sufjan's Illinois album (especially Chicago) is perfect river-adjacent train-ride music.

So we got there and Dr. J and his assistant took care of my cavity with an army of tools and speed and well-oiled precision. And my dad got the 100%-off-dental-school-batchmate discount, since him and Dr. J were in the same class at Peradeniya in 1976, about 7 years before I was born. So after that we went out to dinner at this Cajun restaurant called The Big Easy Bistro. Newburgh looked a lot like Cahaba Heights in Bham, so it was nice being in the suburbs and riding in cars again after being in the city for 3 months.

When we got to the Big Easy Dr. J immediately suggested a round of drinks, which was a theme for the night. So I had an Irish Coffee and 2 Mother's Milk Stouts along with my Calamari, Pumpkin Bisque, and Panko-and-Ginger encrusted Cajun Chicken Skewers with a Cold Sobe Noodle in a Sweet Chili sauce. Which was all delicious. Then we went back to his house (where we were staying the night), and he made some White Russians and poured shots of vodka while we talked about music and MC Escher. It was all very surreal. And his uncle is a famous Sri Lankan artist. I have some pics of his work, the train ride, and Grand Central below.

For brunch on Sunday we went to this Italian place on Liberty St. called Cafe Macchiato. The food there was excellent, and our waiter was this Brazilian mans named Cappuccino. I decided to get the Prosciutto, Mozzarella, and Pesto Panini with Mezclun salad and an imported San Pellegrino Aranciata orange soda for brunch, then we got a round of Mimosas and split a Nutella & Banana-filled Crepe for dessert. I'm definitely going back there the next time I go to see my new dentist in Newburgh. Also, The last pic is the first thing I saw when I looked out of the window this morning. Amy Poehler & Gob. Looking smug as fuck. Happy Crimas.








No comments: