hrf

Monday, July 14, 2008

Kid City

It's been a busy weekend. Free show at the Seaport on Friday, which was the tip of the iceberg. 15+ bands at the midsummer outdoor party at the Yard on Saturday, and the final night of the Fuck Yeah Fest on Sunday. Abe Vigoda, No Age, and Telepathe played on Friday, and 2/3rds of those bands plus Knyfe Hyts, Crystal Antlers, Ninjasonik, Ponytail, Shy Child, High Places, Titus Andronicus, and Oneida played at the Yard. FOTP, The Brothers Frentz, William Donovan, and a handful of bham southside kids were all there. After the show me and Natalia went to dinner at Black Betty before going to to Zebulon to see Ann Arbor, Michigan's finest afrobeat band, Nomo. And then, much later, me and Barret went to a giant warehouse costumedanceparty in bushwick on Bogart & Scholes. I think it was a gods & goddessess party or something because everyone was dressed up as angels & devils and what have you. It was pretty fucking surreal. I felt like I was in one of those movies about ecstasy.

Sunday was Team Robes and Monotonix at Club Exit. I missed Japanther (they played at like 745 for some reason) and left before Matt & Kim because I was exhausted. but the Panther and the Deathset are playing the Market Hotel next Monday, with Mae Shi and Ponytail. And I met one of the residents of the Market Hotel at the show on Saturday. Monotonix were one of the most ridiculous live bands I've seen, I don't think they were actually on stage or stationary in one place in the crowd any any point during their set. And the drummer was crowd surfing w/ his drums. I have a feeling that next weekend will be even more epic somehow. Lorena gets in Wednesday, Ted Leo & The Fiery Furnaces play free shows at Castle Clinton on Thursday, Deerhoof & the Metropolis Ensemble remix the Rite of Spring on Friday before the Knyfe Hyts/Red Dawn II Champagne Party at Death By Audio. Siren Fest Saturday afternoon followed by me and Belinda DJing one of Casey's shindigs that night. And then the motherfucking Liars on Sunday at McCarren Pool. Good time.







1. Kid City
2. B and Virg at the Hanger
3,8. Abe Vigoda
4,7. No Age
5,6. South Skreet Seaport
9. Guy from Fiasco
10. Telepathe
11. Chupacabra
12. High Places
13. Ponytail Judo Kick
14,15. Shy Child
16,17,18. Oneida
19. Zebulon
20,22. Team Robespierre
21, 23-30. Monotonix